Thursday, March 4, 2010

ALA Annual and the Headaches it causes!

My friend David and I submitted a proposal for a poster session to the ALA Annual Conference held in D.C. this year. He has been trying to get me to do this for about 2 years now and I finally relented. I never thought we would have a chance, but low and behold, our proposal was accepted! Fanflippintastic! I really am pretty darn excited about it!

At first, I was going to be the ghost presenter...not there in body but of course there in spirit! My Director, the fabulous C. Evlyn Schmidt, offered to spring for the registration and a preconference class. That saves me almost $400 bucks! The headache is with dealing with the ALA and their reservations people. They are awful. Not user friendly and I might as well be dealing with the Russian consulate for all they understand anything. ALA has used this service for the last few conferences. Why has there not been any improvement in the services? Argh! So, I haven't booked a hotel room and the rates are astronomical. Nothing new, it is downtown D.C. after all. But, SHEESH! I have some time...the conference isn't until the end of June...can anyone put me up for a couple of days in D.C.?

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda,
    The hotels fill up incredibly fast. I suggest you find the cheapest and make a reservation just in case. You can always cancel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes reservations cost money, even if you cancel... :-(

    We will probably be in the house by then; but Motown to DC? That's a heck of a daily commute... :-(

    ReplyDelete